Once upon a time, only a few decades ago, every activity of our daily life involved terracotta and pottery. In the days when plastic did not yet exist, the potters made everything by hand, from the colander for draining cooked pasta to the wine-jar. At Grottaglie, not only precious in terms of handicrafts, but also artistically, there are two special places where this tradition is depicted. At the Castello Episcopio (Bishop’s Castle) there is the permanent city pottery museum, with a large area dedicated to the traditional Christmas nativity scenes. This was joined a few years ago by the extraordinarily beautiful Garden of Casa Vestita (Vestita’s House) in Via Crispi, in the busy Ceramics Neighborhood. This presents the history of Grottaglie, from the extremely rare pavement made of fragments of Roman amphorae and the Byzantine chapel with its frescoes, to the bowls, amphorae, wine glasses, beakers and even a “capasone”: a clay wine jar made in 1926 which is 170 cm high and 90 cm wide, with a capacity of 600 litres!